Tuesday, January 5, 2010

9 Years!

Call it a combination of Christmas, the end of the year, New Year's, my wedding anniversary, and more hours of darkness - the beginning of the year is always a very introspective time for me. I don't prescribe to making resolutions just for New Year's sake, but over the past 5 to 10 years this reflective mix has resulted in me determining resolutions or themes for myself for the upcoming year.

For instance, our move to Houston almost 6 years ago was the result of one of these meditative times. After spending Christmas in Houston with the family, I was quite influenced by the example of my sister, Laura. She and her family seemed to be very happy and really enjoying Christmas. My work, relationship with Tay, and family goals weren't going very well at the time. The observations of my sister and her little family were the motivation I needed to recognize that things as they were in Dallas were not going to get me what I wanted in life. Two and a half months later, I had a new job, we were living in a different city, and Tay was headed back to school full time.

This year, and especially today, I am once again thinking on my relationship with Tay. To that point, I have listened as I have been unilaterally informed that my attitude towards Valentine's Day is incorrect, not appreciated, and that changing my chauvinistic views on the matter will be my resolution at least for the beginning part of this year.

So, in the same spirit of inclusion, mutual appreciation, and soul development which brought us Chrismahanukwanzakah, I will be embarking on my own personal journey towards Annivalenbirthtine's Day. 41 days of exploration and experiences dedicated to becoming in touch with my less Scroogey side, and to learning to recognize that the CEO of Hallmark can laugh hysterically while pushing us into the seventh level of hell by our wallet, February 14th is still the day that the world was made a little better.

Now, this post may be a prime contender for the Fried Cheese of the Year Award, but I am completely serious. I love my wife, and I want to be able to show her that I appreciate her so much that I can even come to enjoy Valentine’s Day. I just may have to change it into a slightly cooler holiday, Annivalenbirthtine’s Day. I love you, Tay. Happy Anniversary!

7 comments:

  1. 9 for you means 10 for us. Holy Cow. Happy Anniversary!

    And just so you know, I totally got the "I'm pleasantly happy with my life and family" vibe from you guys this Thanksgiving. Guess it's your turn to motivate me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What are you doing to me? Hopefully Laura(my wife) doesn't read this because then she will expect the same change of heart from me as I may be your sole ally in the detestation of Valentine's day as a strictly made-up holiday by Hallmark. At least you have Tay's Birthday to give you a reason to do something nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy 9 for you, Happy 12 for me, and Happy 10 to Em!

    I never knew why you moved to Houston. Thanks for sharing and you've made my day. Em is right. You and Tay did have a pleasantly happy vibe. Enjoy Annivalenbirthtine's day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed reading your thoughts. Valentines day itself is still somewhat of a commercial thing but the appreciation and love that we have for our wives is very real.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy 9 for you and Tay. Glad to hear that you're coming out of your scrooginess. I've always known there was a heart in you...You just like to hide it. Ha, ha. I love you and Tay!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're the best, Bri! I love you so much. I'm sorry I didn't read this last week but I'm glad I read it now because it made THIS week good, too! I'm happy to hear you're going to try. Keep in mind I have duties on both Feb 14 and March 14 so it's not such a bad gig for you. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wait, let me also say that you stress out way too much over gift giving. You know what I like and what hobbies I enjoy. There is a little bead store just off Atascocita Road that is a bit expensive but they are stocked wall-to-wall with gorgeous gemstone bead strands. Anything brightly colored that strikes you as being pretty and looking like something I would enjoy will be perfect! Since I rarely spend more than $10 on a strand of beads for myself, you'd be spoiling me with a gift that would easily be under $20. You can't imagine how exciting a vibrant, unique strand of beads is for me. It's like GIVING me creativity and permission to use it! Plus I get to make jewelry and how cool is that! I guess you're lucky in that you can give beads or jewelry. :)

    ReplyDelete